Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Winter and Baking

Winter and Baking

Let me start off by saying it’s winter, just in case you forgot. It’s cold, often snowy (especially if you live in the northeast), and not particularly inviting to be outside. The birds on the feeders stay only as long as they can eat their fill and then scoot away to their hidden nests. The squirrels are grumpy, chasing each other away from the limited supply of frozen meals. There are no flowers brightening up the neighborhood. 

So I huddle inside, fire up the oven and bake!

This week I made what look like camouflage cookies; they blend in so well on my plates that it is easy to pretend the plate is empty and have another cookie. They are actually oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that are hearty, chewy and delicious. I followed a recipe but did what I usually do, that is I make changes as I go along. For instance, I use coconut sugar instead of granulated. None of my creations look fancy like the creations on The British Baking Show on PBS (Sunday at 8 PM in New Jersey), a show I enjoy watching. Several bakers make three assigned creations each week. At the end of the show, one baker is let go. I couldn’t compete like that. My baking is for home consumption, for family and friends only.

I actually like winter. When I have to go out, I bundle up and feel adventurous. Then I return and appreciate the warm comfort of the indoors. I know spring will be here soon enough and I will be spending less time baking as I plan my garden. But for now, I will blend in with the season, enjoy my baking, and look forward to what each season brings.

The British Baking Show:
http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-british-baking-show/ 

2 comments:

  1. I too find myself cooking more often during the cold season. Cookies are great for me and my children to make together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love the aromas in the house? Besides baking I favor cooking soups. I used to have my kids work in the kitchen with me, as you do, and that made it even more delightful. Hope you are enjoying something yummy today.

      Delete