Monday, August 26, 2013

Spiders Have Their Place


Spiders Have Their Place

Spiders are not my favorite creatures. Perhaps this is because I was bitten by one long ago and never forgot the experience. Having admitted that, I have to go on to say that every creature has its place on earth and spiders are no exception.

One of the great things about spiders is that they eat mosquitoes. Considering how the mosquito population has exploded in recent years, this is a reason to celebrate the hairy/speckled/crawly species. Spiders actually eat thousands of insects that can plague your garden and/or home. They are much greener than chemical sprays as an insect repellent.

Even though spotting a spider makes me nervous, spiders, themselves, tend to be shy. If you don’t bother them, chances are they will leave you alone. They usually won’t bite unless they feel threatened. They keep a low profile and keep away from confrontation if possible. So it’s a good thing I tend to keep out of their way. But sometimes a spider will be visible, as this one was. It was spinning a web between the buddleia and hydrangea bushes right outside my dining room window. It was fascinating to watch. The silk thread was so fine that the spider seemed suspended in mid-air. Back and forth the arachnid went, creating a geometric grid so delicate it was hardly noticeable.

I think the spider I saw was an orb spider but I can’t be sure (anyone know?) because there are so many variations. Perhaps the diversity is one reason that spiders have been mythologized. Creation stories and folktales abound; Charlotte and her web are classic. I believe that variety is something to be appreciated. Perhaps I need to broaden my belief to include spiders.

So much to know about spiders:

Just as much to disregard about spiders:

How to tell an arachnid from an insect:
http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=248247

3 comments:

  1. Spiders and I have a love/hate relationship. I love to look at webs when they are covered with dew, outside, and I am inside. I hate walking into one that I didn't see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see the newest one in our backyard. it spans across the space from the butterfly bushes to the peach tree which is several feet!

      Delete
    2. You should see the newest one in our backyard. it spans across the space from the butterfly bushes to the peach tree which is several feet!

      Delete