Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Focusing on Nature

 

Focusing on Nature

Nature has been a bit more obvious around here lately, with squirrels dashing in front of cars, hawks flying down closer to people and deer gallivanting on streets and in backyards. Here is an example. There were actually five deer crossing our backyard the other day. Two moved off into our neighbor’s property behind the children’s playground. One had stopped for a moment to look at the swings. I wondered if it was considering having a ride. When my husband came out with his camera, the deer moved on. They crossed the street slowly as if they were just out for a daily walk.

I think that our housing development was built on the deer’s natural roaming path. They figured out how to navigate around the fences that some of our neighbors have erected. We are used to them coming into our back to munch on our plants and our sweet cherry tree. But they have been showing up more frequently and being less reserved.

I think we all are looking at things differently now. What used to be in the background of our busy lives has come to be more prominent in our awareness as we become more locally aware. Focusing on nature is a way to step out of our daily worries and be lifted by its beauty or be delightfully surprised by an unusual encounter. I think of it as a gift that opens me up to a wider perspective.

2 comments:

  1. From what I have read, a deer’s animal spirit usually represents gentleness, innocence, kindness and grace. Maybe that is way, when I see them in my backyard, I feel calmness as well as a connection to nature. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too. But rather than peace, I get excited at seeing them.

    ReplyDelete