Thursday, May 30, 2019

Robin's Beautiful Eggs

Robin's Beautiful Eggs

I get yelled at each time I pass by the Smoke Tree in our backyard. The yeller is a robin trying to get me away from her nest and the four beautiful blue eggs inside. She, or he because both male and female robins are very protective of the nest, zooms out of the Smoke Tree and onto an extended peach tree branch, all the while watching me with intense eyes. When I move out of the immediate nest area, the robin flies back to the nest, no doubt content that the immediate danger has passed.

I understand her/his need to protect the potential babies. I try to walk as far from the tree as I can, reassuring the scolding robin as I move along slowly and calmly that I would never harm the future birdies in any way.

There seems to be more robins around this Spring. I see them flitting in and out of the oak tree out front. It seems that some of them may be staying north during the winter. Could that be an indication of our warming temperatures? They have always been a symbol of Spring, their red breasts a signal that warmer weather is approaching. Now maybe sooner than we expect. As nature changes, other things change, too. I hope we will be as delighted at the changes as we are at seeing the robins.

Robin info:
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/american-robin

Some robin images:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Robin/media-browser/431201


2 comments:

  1. Interesting thought, that global warming is allowing us to have the company of robins a little longer. Finally, a good consequence of a disasterous situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of things seem to be changing lately. I hope we see more good than bad results.

      Delete