Monday, March 13, 2017

Daffodils and Spring


 

Daffodils and Spring

The mini daffodils were peeking out of the earth in our backyard, teasing the big daffies beside them to open up and greet the day. They are always a sweet next reminder after the crocuses that Spring is peeking through the end of Winter. The temperature was warmer and so it was easy to forget that sometimes Winter plays tricks on us.

The mini daffies in this tiny jar are not from my garden, though. They were given to me by a friend as a remembrance of my sister who passed away last year. It was my sister’s birthday. My friend knew how close we were and wanted to honor her and our relationship. It was a small momento but a compassionate one. I put it on my counter and smiled each time I passed by.

Later in the week the temperature cooled down and Winter came back. The minis and the regular daffodils outside are wilting on their stems. Tonight the weather prediction is for 8 – 1- inches of snow! All the daffies will be covered in white. I don’t know if they will be around when the snow melts but that’s okay, they’ll be back next year; they have a lasting power.

The minis in the jar lasted most of the week. They, too, have a lasting power, in my memory. Friendships come and go and some hang around regardless of the different seasons of life. I am grateful for my perennial garden that is there for me year after year, sharing its bounty, and I value my friendships that flower so beautifully in my heart.

Planting and caring for mini-daffodils:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/care-miniature-daffodils-72982.html

2 comments: