Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Dusting of Possibilities


A Dusting of Possibilities

A major snowstorm was predicted – again. And again it didn’t happen. What we awoke to was a dusting of snow, barely enough to cover the sidewalks, cars, lawns, and trees with a trace of white. The sky was gray with clouds early on but as the morning progressed, the sky lightened. It seemed the storm had moved on, to the north and east, and the temperature will be too warm today for the snow to remain.

In a way I was disappointed; I like snow, even if I have to shovel it. The “dusting” wasn’t wasted on me, though; it was a meditative way to start the day. It hinted at possibilities. In the immediate case, it was the physical indication of what could have been, had the snowstorm occurred. But it seemed to be deeper than that, almost a reminder of the potential in all things. We often assume the “dusting” of an idea is all there is when, like weather reporting, that is really only the suggestion of something, a probability. Great discoveries start with a dusting of possibility.

It was a grand way to begin the day - a pristine moment of beauty and a subtle message to be the idea we are meant to be.

Learn about long-term weather predicting, find out weather forecasts for your area, and get a larger look at the world’s weather:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wout00.htm

3 comments:

  1. Well, I do hope the dusting of snow isn't a hint of possiblities to come. Actually, lke you, I do like snow. Unlike you, however, I like it a little - as in "I like looking at it while drinking my coffee." Once I'm out there, helping my husband shovel, I like it a little less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. After the shoveling is done, time for a cup of tea, a scone, a game of Scrabble by the warmth of the fireplace. Ah, time to daydream.

      Delete