Monday, June 4, 2012
Wasps and People Aren't Compatible
Wasps and People Aren’t Compatible
Okay, so here’s the thing – we have a wasp’s nest tucked into the crook of our garage door where it meets the house. As we enter or leave we have the insects in plain sight and often very close. The nest is getting bigger since we saw it a few days ago. We have to do something.
Wasps are actually beneficial in that they eat a lot of other bugs but they are dangerous so near to people. They will sting if they feel threatened, which is understandable - but not acceptable at a busy threshold. Stings are painful (I know from prior experience), starting with the sharp incision of the stinger. The injected venom stimulates the nerve endings of pain receptors in the skin. Then the body releases a fluid to the site to wash away the venom, which spreads it and causes redness and swelling around the sting area. Not fun. And not something to play around with. Some people are allergic to stings. Anaphylaxis can cause minor irritations such as hives, swelling, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and headaches. More severe reactions such as shock, dizziness, unconsciousness, or difficulty breathing need immediate attention as they can be life-threatening.
I tend to be reluctant to harm anything in this world; I capture and release spiders found in the house rather than kill them, shoo flies out the window, discourage ants by spreading ground pepper at their points of entry. If this nest were anywhere else I would probably let it be but wasps and people are not compatible so close to each other. It is dangerous here; the nest must go. I hope the next time the local wasps want to build a nest they find a more suitable place.
More than I wanted to know about wasps but helpful, especially regarding wasp management:
A gentler perspective:http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/vespids/intro.html