Monday, May 24, 2010

So Much Promise


Camellias are beautiful flowers. I saw this camellia bud at Planting Fields Arboretum on Long Island. It was just opening to the world and allowed a view into its perfect insides. I was transfixed by the depth of its promise. So many petals, every one a part of the glorious whole yet exquisite in its own unique loveliness. They hint of fragility and all the same are somehow eager. The outer petals seem protective, almost reluctant to share the internal innocence. Still, it is nature’s imperative to reveal itself in its myriad forms. Each day the flower will open a bit more until nothing further is hidden. And when it has dazzled us with its brilliance, it will leave. It makes me appreciate a person’s progression from infancy onward. A budding flower is another’s journey but in each of us is that same push toward individual expression.

Note: Are you getting your daily dose of DailyOm? The May 17th posting talks about letting your life unfold like a flower. The daily thoughts are interesting to ponder and often profound. www.dailyom.com

2 comments:

  1. As always, you put into words my sentiments about a subject I have been relfecting on. In my case, it is the roses that bloom outside my kitchen window. I watch the progress from tiny, tight sprout to "adolescent" bud to full blown bloom and a riot of color. Magnificence and hope in our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire, thanks foe the lovely comments. I am always delighted to hear from you. And your observations add so much to the conversation.

    ReplyDelete