Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hawk Alert!

I was out back pretending to read a book but really just enjoying the ambiance of the late afternoon. There was a gentle breeze that took away the oppressiveness of the humidity. The hibiscus had put out nineteen blossoms, an enchanting sight! And finches were chatting in the butterfly bush. Suddenly, something big and feathery swooshed from around the house and landed in the tulip tree. It was a hawk! The energy, which had been so peaceful a moment ago, went into lockdown. Nothing moved or chirped or, seemingly, breathed, myself included. Had the hawk scored a meal? I slowly got out of my chair and walked toward the tree to assess the situation. The hawk took off. Life returned to the backyard. I wish I understood finch – they were having an extremely animated conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment